Looking for a casual and delicious brunch spot? Biscottis is the place to go. Located in the historic and picturesque Avondale neighborhood of Jacksonville, this restaurant has it all. Biscottis is able to accommodate large groups with its very spacious interior and if you prefer to dine while enjoying the sunshine, there’s limited outdoor seating with several tables for two and a first-come first-serve attitude.
The outdoor seating was exactly what the doctor ordered – so was the Bellini. They offer up freshly-squeezed orange juice for their mimosas and peach puree bellinis on their brunch menu. The bellini comes in a large wine glass and is elegantly garnished with a strawberry. Perfect way to start the weekend!
Now for their menu. Biscottis has several menus, including a fantastic looking gluten-free menu with certified GF bread for those with dietary restrictions. Along with a fabulous brunch menu, they also have their regular menu with plenty of share plates, salads, sandwiches, pizzas, and a kid’s menu.
So what was the selected menu choice of the day, you ask? Oh the suspense! Pictured below is possibly the most perfectly sweet French Toast known to mankind. If you’re a French Toast fiend and you find Crème Brûlée irresistible, then this menu item is a must as this is the lovechild of the two.
Introducing the Crème Brûlée French Toast that you will only find on Biscottis Brunch Menu. The freshly baked soft and delectably chewy bread is lovingly spread with an Orange-Honey Glaze which is then flame torched and topped with a slightly sweet Mascarpone Cream that adds a cooling contrast.
But wait, there’s more. It’s not a meal until you add the two included sides. Pictured below with the French Toast is a side of their fruit salad which comes with cubed cantaloupe, honeydew, orange, strawberry, and grapes that’s all lightly tossed in a house-made mint syrup.
The best part about your meal coming with two sides? Options. All that sweet needed to be balanced out with some savory so the cheesy creamy grits was a no brainer. These grits are incredible. Fluffy. Creamy. Savory. Cheesy. Need I say more? The whole meal was a star including the prompt yet relaxed service. Check out Biscottis next time you find yourself in the Avondale neighborhood. Or heck, just go there the next time hunger strikes!
Biscottis – Avondale, Jacksonville, FL
Monday-Thursday 10:30 am – 10:00 pm
Friday 10:30 am – Midnight
Saturday 8:00 am – Midnight
Sunday 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
Ohana Hawaiian Shaved Ice
Pronounced Ha-Lo Ha-Lo and could be mistaken with saying hello twice in a foreign accent, this typical Filipino dessert is known as Halo-Halo and translates to mix mix. Anthony Bourdain describes it as “oddly beautiful” and rightly so. Anyone who tries this delectable dessert will agree that it is most definitely oddly beautiful. This concoction of bright lavender hued ice cream known as Ube is topped with fruity boba bubbles, followed by sweetened condensed milk poured seductively between layers of shaved ice, all sitting atop a layer of Jackfruit, Coconut Gel, Mung Beans, Macapuno Strips.
Sound weird enough to try? You bet. Words don’t even begin to describe how all of these flavors somehow delightfully come together and Ohana Hawaiin Shaved Ice, located a few blocks from Atlantic Beach in Jacksonville, nails this strange yet satisfying dessert. Here’s a breakdown of the strange sounding ingredients in it:
- Ube [ooh-beh] – A brightly purple colored yam originating in the Asian tropics. The Ube ice cream atop the Halo-Halo is creamy, sweet with a distinctive and somewhat nutty taste that marries perfectly with the sweetened condensed milk and shaved ice.
- Boba Bubbles (bo-ba) – Strangely resembling large fish eggs, these little bubbles of joy definitely don’t taste like fish eggs. These little bubbles pop in your mouth creating an explosion of vibrantly sweet fruit flavors that dance all over your taste buds leaving you wanting more. It’s all about that pop.
- Jackfruit – A very versatile fruit and extremely high in nutrients, this tropical gem is different than most fruits with a unique yet subtle taste and a jellied candy-like texture
- Mung Beans – Often used in Asian desserts, it lends itself to a somewhat savory note in this dessert that compliments the Ubi’s sweet and savory flavor profile.
- Macapuno Strips – This is one that is even less common to see than the previous ingredients and is very popular in Filipino cuisine. Macapuno is actually a type of abnormal coconut known as an aberrant coconut. This means their genetics short-circuited along the way and the meat of the coconut deviated from its normal course of producing a white solid flesh and water to actually absorbing most of the water and creating a delightful white jelly-like flesh. It is usually formed into strips or balls after harvest and preserved in heavy syrup.
- Coconut Gel – Semitransparent milky white cubes of coconut contained in lychee juice with a somewhat firm a smooth texture.
Are you scared away yet? You shouldn’t be. Go on, get a little adventurous and you won’t regret it. Feeling more of a hot weather treat instead of ice cream? Ohana’s got you covered. Featured at Ohana are over 42 all-natural shaved ice flavored syrups, all made in house with no corn syrup and with a large selection of sugar-free flavors as well. Accompany these 42 flavors with toppings like fresh fruit, candies, marshmallow cream, coconut cream and three ice cream flavors to choose from. If you need to wash down your sweets with some tasty grub, Ohana also has snacks like sandwiches with a Hawaiian spin, hotdogs and hamburgers, plus salads and daily soup specials.
Check out Ohana Hawaiian Shaved Ice and support a great local business.
Tues: Shaved Ice Tuesday 12:00pm – 5:00pm (Ice & Smoothies Only)
Wed – Sat: 12:00pm – 8:00pm
Sun: Noon – 6:00pm
Welcome to Ramada Baymeadows! Jacksonville, Florida has lots to offer and we’re excited to share our adventures and outings with you. Here at our Explore JAX Blog you’ll get a sneak peak of all of the great restaurants, beaches, shops and more.
We’re all about having fun at Ramada Baymeadows and we want to share that fun with you. We’ll show you all the cool places from family fun to romantic date nights to relaxed afternoons at the beach.
If you’re looking for something to do while you’re staying with us, this is the place to look to get some ideas! Be sure to check out our Upcoming Events page for local events as well as hotel events to see what’s happening in the area and at the hotel.
Jacksonville has a wealth of options to choose from and is the best city in our eyes. Stay tuned to learn more about all the quirky small businesses, fun weekend events and scrumptious restaurants that we love so much right here in Jacksonville.
-The Ramada Baymeadows Team
P.S. We love hearing from our guests. Be sure to check out our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram Page and feel free to comment, ask questions, or share your experiences with us! Been to any of the places mentioned in our Explore Jax Blog? Tell us about it in the comments sections!